b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Gary Hedrick" <garyh AT cjfm.org>
  • To: "B-Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:23:16 -0600

This has nothing to do with race or racism. There is no question
that there are legitimate differences between Hebrew and Greek thought, and
that these differences can have a definite bearing on how we read the text
of the Hebrew Bible. One notable example of the difference between the two
is in their respective conceptions of time and space. This is explained in
some detail in Thorleif Boman's Hebrew Thought Compared with Greek. (It was
written originally in German but is readily available in an English
edition.) In the final chapter, the author concludes that the two
perspectives are not contradictory, but complementary. He says it's not a
matter of right vs. wrong because both are right (p. 208 in my paperback
edition). Interesting stuff.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA