b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:38:56 +0000

On 14/11/2006 23:06, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

... Also, skepticism about the historical reality
underlying the Biblical claims is not a theological position. Theology is the
study of the divine and the study of history does not need to be related to
the study of the divine (unless that is a theological position you hold). So
the position that the book of Ezra must be historically accurate because it is
in the divinely sanctioned canon of books is a theological position. But the
view that the book of Ezra is not necessarily accurate is not a theological
position. To put the point further, the book of Hebrews may be in your
theological view, a 1st century book allowing us to see the views of the Jews
at that time. But for me, it is just a book, ...

Yitzhak, I agree with most of what you are saying in this message. It is important to distinguish between the meaning intended for example by Haggai and later interpretations of his book.

But on the point above I must disagree with you. You are taking a theological position by rejecting the accuracy of Ezra or the authority of Hebrews. It may be a negative theological position, like that of the atheist who takes the position that there is no God, or perhaps that of the agnostic who takes the position that the existence of God cannot be proved or disproved, but it is still the position you take on a theological issue and so a theological position.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org