b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:06:19 +0000

On 11/13/06, Gary Hedrick wrote:
Yitzhak, you make a good point here. I was overstating it when I said
the text was "clear." The translators appear to be divided over the
possible messianic significance of Haggai 2:7. Some take it as messianic
and others say the prophet is simply talking about a future time when the
treasures of the nations would flow into the Second Temple. But even so,
wouldn't such a scenario be necessarily messianic? Isn't it in messianic
times that the nations will bring tribute to Jerusalem and honor Israel's
King Messiah?

It doesn't say the Messiah will be honored. It says the Temple will be
honored. If anything, the individual honored here is the High Priest.
Speaking
of these verses as Messianic is quite anachronistic. Haggai doesn't even
use the term Messiah at all, although he mentions often both the governor
of Judea and the High Priest. In light of that, it seems to me quite
problematic
to suggest that Haggai espouses a messianic point of view.

Yitzhak Sapir