b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] English term for Hebrew grammatical term?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] English term for Hebrew grammatical term?
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:24:17 -0500

Dear Rivka,

This is the dagesh in words like eille (these), henna (hereto), lamma (why, what for). The term used in Gesenius (#20k) is dagesh forte FIRMATIVUM. I was hoping that there is a more “popular” term that can be readable/pronounceable by lay people. Do you (or someone else) know of such term?

HH: Thanks for answering my question. No, I don't know of any other name. If it will do any good, here is some data from an online Latin dictionary about the Latin word. Perhaps you could use one of the English verbs in an -ed form, like "strengthened." "Strengthened" is the word that GKC #20k uses to describe this dagesh's function.

iv SUFFIX
-ive, -ed; having the passive tendency; having been ...-ed;

firmativ.um ADJ 1 1 NOM S N POS
firmativ.um ADJ 1 1 NOM S N POS
firmativ.um ADJ 1 1 VOC S N POS
firmativ.um ADJ 1 1 VOC S N POS
firmativ.um ADJ 1 1 ACC S M POS
firmativ.um ADJ 1 1 ACC S M POS
firmativ.um ADJ 1 1 ACC S N POS
firmativ.um ADJ 1 1 ACC S N POS
firmo, firmare, firmavi, firmatus V [XXXBX]
strengthen, harden; support; declare; prove, confirm, establish;

Yours,
Harold Holmyard