b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: villandra AT austin.rr.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:14:55 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/2006 9:14:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
villandra AT austin.rr.com writes:

> The original condition is described as, "The earth was without form and
> void
> (empty or whatever), and darkness was upon the face of the deep" - there
> being no English equivalent for the word that is translated as "deep".
> However, chosek (as I vaguely remember the word) was upon the face of
> whatever it was.

Whoever translated the Hebrew text to the Septuagint translated to read,
"invisible and unfurnished." And I would have added "chaotic." But would
God
have created something formless and void. He says to Isaiah (45:18) that He
didn't create the earth in formless and void condition.

Doug
Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, Texas