b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:56:28 -0500

Doug:

There is nothing in the text itself that indicates
that "day" when used with a number means anything
else than the equivalent of a modern 24 hour day or
the lighted portion thereof. The use of "day" in a
non-numerical context can have other meanings, just
as in English, but not in a numerical context. (If
I say, "I plan to travel there in five days" I
don't mean five years from now, or five ages, but
within a week. The same in Biblical Hebrew.)

The picture we get in Genesis 1 is that God first
created a cold, hard, lifeless, silent ball in
space. He then added action and life to that ball,
the first step was by making light (physical light
is made by the action of atoms). Organic life came
later.

The time of destruction was during the flood,
Genesis 6 - 9, when only eight people and the land
animals in the ark were saved from the waters. That
is also when the mountains and hills shook and were
moved from their places as in Psalm 18.

This is just what the text says. Not everyone on
this list believes it, some believe other religions
such as evolution. Some practice syncretism, where
they try to combine different religions. The above
is merely a discussion of the text.

Karl W. Randolph.