b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:37:30 -0500

Doug:

You're right, God did not create the world
"formless and void", rather it was lifeless and
still. The rest of the steps of creation were
adding movement and life to the world.

Where do you get the idea that it was chaotic?
That's not in the Hebrew.

THW does not mean formless. E.g. 1 Samuel 12:21
idols, which were physical statues, were not
formless, but they certainly were lifeless. Again,
Isaiah 24:10 talks about a lifeless city where no
one enters. Further Isaiah 44:9 refers to lifeless
statues worshiped as Gods. All of these have form,
they just lack life.

Karl W. Randolph.