b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:54:56 -0500

Peter:

Having grown up in an academic milieu, with my
maternal grandfather a physics professor and my
father a math prof, I am not easily impressed by
degrees (after all, I have 98.6 myself). Further,
there is this delicious quote from Bertram Russel,
I am told it was his favorite description for
mathematics, "the subject in which we never know
what we are talking about nor whether what we are
saying is right." (There is a modern practice that
believes that if we can describe something
mathematically, then it must be true. I disagree
with it, but that is a different subject.)

With this as a background, the existence of a
photon as a particle is a mathematical construct.
The same for many beliefs commonly taught as fact,
such as the Bohr model of the atom, and now some of
the modern ideas of string theory and wormholes are
likewise mathematical constructs. Even the commonly
taught "Big Bang" is a mathematical construct based
on presuppositions that may or may not be accurate
(if Genesis 1 is accurate history, then those
presuppositions are not accurate).

What has often been observed is that when matter is
heated, such as a piece of steel, is that it gives
off light. If it is hot enough, the light is in the
visible range of our eyes.

When one goes to the races, one chooses a horse and
bets on it. My horse is named Genesis 1, yours the
Big Bang. The race is not over yet, the horses are
on the back stretch, we all are cheering on our
horses, but as of yet the winner is not apparent to
an unbiased observer.

Karl W. Randolph.