b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:23:51 -0500

Dear Doug,

HH: Jeremiah 4:23-26 is figurative language and imagery associated with the destruction of Israel in 587 B.C. It may report a vision Jeremiah saw that portrayed that destruction. "Yowm" does not really mean age or aeon. With a preposition it can have the idea of "when" or "at the time." Psalm 18 is figurative language about a divine deliverance of David by God. The Bible sometimes uses figurative language about the heavens to describe important events on earth. We might talk of earthshaking events. The Israelites could think of heaven-shaking events. I realize that this can sometimes be literal, but other times it seems more figurative.
I don't believe that Genesis 1 describes a renewing of the face of creation but rather it depicts the original creation.

Yes, one could say that God was using figurative language. That would explain away a lot of questions, but, Harold, it doesn't satisfy my questions. If it does it for you then you're quenching your thirst.

HH: Is it good or bad to quench one's thirst?

Yours,
Harold Holmyard