b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: hholmyard AT ont.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:25:03 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/2006 5:24:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
hholmyard AT ont.com writes:

> Dear Doug,

> >> place"?
> >>

> >> HH: You raise a good question. Why, in an account of creation, would God
> >> start with many things already created? Why wouldn't the story just show
> >> us how He created all things? I believe the Genesis 1 account does that
> >> by saying that in the beginning He created the heavens and the earth.
> >> Water was one of the things created in His creation of the basic heavens
> >> and earth.
> >>

> > I thought 'Bara' as used in Genesis 1 means 'created from nothing'?
> > And I understood that light existed in vs 1, and water. Am I wrong
> > in this understanding.
>

> HH: I think so. Why would we understand that light existed in verse 1
> when God creates light in verse 3? There is a temporal progression
> throughout the chapter. It is natural to assume that it begins "in the
> beginning" and proceeds from there. Throughout Genesis 1 words like "Let
> there be" imply the creation of something. So I assume that in verse 3
> they imply the creation of light, something that previously did not
> exist. You mention Isa 45:18, which talks about God not creating the
> earth "formless and void." I guess you are wondering how that fits with
> Gen 1:2, which says that the earth was formless and void. But Gen 1:2 is
> not the end of the creation process. All of Genesis 1 is describing
> God's work of creation. God could start by creating some basic materials
> and continue working from there. The ultimate result was a world for man
> to inhabit as Isaiah said, full and well-formed, but we should not
> expect that on day 1 of creation week.
>
> Yours,

HH,
Jeremiah 4:23-26, says the earth became 'formless and void' because of His
fierce anger. I think something more is going on here then meets the eye.
Another example 'yown' means a day, it also means an age or eons. Am I
correct?
Since the sun and moon were created later in Genesis 'day first' might mean
an
undesignated amount of time, or a differant age. I personally think heaven
and earth was completed in full, with light, darkness, everything finished
completely with life. And then something happened that caused God to become
very
angry and He came clothed in darkness as David sees in his vision, Ps 18. I
think we have a record of God renewing the face of creation in Genesis.

Doug.
Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, Texas