b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:02:58 +0100

On 15/04/2006 01:45, Karl Randolph wrote:

I said that God created the world lifeless and still, then added motion. One aspect of the motion is light (I have an uncle who was a physicist, he assures me light is caused by the motion of matter) ...

As a former physicist myself, I would want to qualify that as depending on one's definition of "matter". Light is caused by the motion of particles, photons, which also have wave-like properties. But these particles have zero rest mass, in other words they are pure energy and so at least in popular terms not matter at all. Light can also be generated by matter in motion, if that is what your uncle meant, but, according to those same physicists, not all light is so generated - some is left over from the Big Bang having been created directly as photons.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)