b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Alter's translation (Was: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: crazymulgogi AT gmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Alter's translation (Was: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:34:36 EST

Unlike some who have commented here, I am actually reading Robert Alter's
translation (Norton, 2004), which I obtained several months ago. I think
Alter
succeeds admirably in fulfilling the translation goals he set for himself.

At Genesis 1:1, Alter is in agreement with a number of Hebrew scholars and
Bible translators from at least the time of Rashi. The JPS Torah Commentary
on Genesis by Nahum M. Sarna (1989) has cogent explanations for the JPS
rendering of "When God began to create heaven and earth." Everett Fox uses
similar construction with "At the beginning of God's creating of the heavens
and
the earth." Mesorah-Artscroll versions read much the same way.

I do not have to agree with everything a translation says in order to enjoy
or benefit from it. Personally, I am comfortable with the English
traditional "In the beginning God created." Yet I appreciate that the
Hebrew also
allows for the rendering of Alter and others: "When God began to create."

Sometimes, it is not always either-or. Sometimes, it can be both-and.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 11/22/2005 8:42:13 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,