b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>, <Awohili AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:35:00 -0000

Exactly!

-----Original Message-----
From: b-hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org on behalf of Peter Kirk
Sent: Tue 11/15/2005 2:37 PM
To: Awohili AT aol.com
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

On 15/11/2005 13:56, Awohili AT aol.com wrote:

>I, too, am a native speaker of English, and to me "to time indefinite" and
>"indefinitely" signal the same thing.

I just did a Google search on "to time indefinite". There are only 506
hits, indicating that this phrase is not a common one. 18 out of the
first 20 hits appear to be quotations from NWT or discussions of
Jehovah's Witnesses' teaching. I strongly suspect that this phrase is
meaningless except to those who have been taught its meaning by
Jehovah's Witnesses. It is certainly meaningless to me.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)

Security System.

Security System.
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:28:49 -0000
To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>,
"Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>, <Awohili AT aol.com>
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [b-hebrew] NIV v' NWT translation policy

Putting all our pre-indoctrinated ideas aside and having considered
the merits of both the NIV and the NWT translations, could it be
that a 'good' translation would be a balance of the two?

That is to say that we take the NWT's approach of consistent translation
and combine that with the NIV's 'make a natural language' approach.
I believe it is quite possible to combine both of these goals and
to produce a superior translation which both preserves the reader's right
to be able to read and interpret Yah's words, with the help of his spirit,
and makes use of faithful natural language constructions only.

As I have stated in the past, I intend to demonstrate this with my
translation programme, the design of which is almost complete.

My programme will soon be sweeping the internet in a manner similar to
Google's algorithm (crawling from link to link) and will parse and store
the frequency of every word and combination of words (mistakes included)
in every modern language that the visible web has to offer.
This database of word/phrase frequencies will be the basis of a new database
of numbers. Each unique number will represent one 'concept', which I believe
to be common denominator of all languages. And through intelligent self
correction mechanisms the programme will decide when a particular phrase
can map to a particular concept. As the entire algorithm is guided by
concepts
(with meanings) and phrases alone it will not be able to produce unnatural
language yet will remain faithful and consistent in its mappings.

However,it will not fall into the trap that the NWT has in that it will not
generate plastic translations in order to satisfy an exagerated faithfulness
to any one particular word as it will only demonstrate this level of
faithfulness to well established patterns of words within their natural
contexts.

Nor will it fall into the trap that the NIV has of denying the right to
interpret
the text of the reader by forcing any particular random idiom which supports
any particular doctrine as idiomatic translations will only be performed as a
result of careful meaning establishing mechanisms which map contexts to
idiomatic
expressions.

When my project is complete the entire source code will made available under
open
source license so that the code can be subjected to rigourous international
peer review. This will be to ensure that I am not allowed to inject my own
personal
beliefs into the mechanism (something which we are all guilty of from time to
time).

James Christian Read

Security System.
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:40:21 -0000
From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
To: "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>, "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eccl 1:4 was Re: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)

>Is it because you are incorporating into the text "the biases
>and theology of the translators", which may tell you that the earth does
>not actually last for ever?

But Peter, JW's believe the earth WILL last forever. In fact, it is one
of their most fundamental beliefs. And so in those contexts it would be
far more conducive for them to write 'forever' so your argument here
does not stand because it only goes to show that they are willing to
make these sacrifices in order to perform a uniform translation.

Security System.
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:44:12 -0000
From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>

Solomon may well have written this on a bad day but it unfair to presume that
this means it affected his theological viewpoint. There is much great godly
wisdom to be gleaned from Qohelet and in fact some of David's most beautiful
psalms were the result of times of great distress.
It is clear what Solomon thought about the afterlife and this view is in
complete
agreement with the rest of the Tanakh. It may well be that he was having a
bad
day but nothing in Qohelet present a theological viewpoint any different to
the
testimony of the rest of the hebrew bible.