b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:20:52 +0000

@Solomon:

@solomon:
Solomon:> I, too, am a native speaker of English, and to me "to time
indefinite" and "indefinitely" signal the same thing.
Unless you have counted the number of years that make up "forever," it is
indeed an "indefinite" or "indefinitely-lasting" time. Otherwise, how long is
"forever"?
Response: Well when I first started discussing with Dr.Furuli, I was not
familiar with the NWT use of `WLM. I own a NWT but never really flipped
through it except for verses dealing with Christ. Anyway, when I came to "to
time indefinite." I had to stop and think about what this meant, it was not
very clear, at first I thought the NWT translators made this expression up.
Even though forever is an indefinite/unknown amount of time, the reverse is
not true. An indefinite amount of time does not have to mean 'forever.' It
can be three days, a week, a month etc.

Solomon:> But as I said before, to each his own. "Time indefinite" works for
me, as
> well as a fair number of other native speakers of English I know.
Response: Sure, you are familiar with the NWT, I had no idea what it meant
when I first looked at it. It took me awhile and I am a native speaker as
well.
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:37:33 +0000
From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
To: Awohili AT aol.com
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

On 15/11/2005 13:56, Awohili AT aol.com wrote:

>I, too, am a native speaker of English, and to me "to time indefinite" and
>"indefinitely" signal the same thing.

I just did a Google search on "to time indefinite". There are only 506
hits, indicating that this phrase is not a common one. 18 out of the
first 20 hits appear to be quotations from NWT or discussions of
Jehovah's Witnesses' teaching. I strongly suspect that this phrase is
meaningless except to those who have been taught its meaning by
Jehovah's Witnesses. It is certainly meaningless to me.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)