b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:23:18 -0500

Kelton:

Thanks for the reference. I have no idea who Bill T. Arnold
& John H. Choi are, so I'll go back and look directly at the
text.

The 2 Kings 18:34 (and its parallel passage in Isaiah
36:19) have NCL consistently in the Hiphil in the verses
both preceding and following the verse in question.
Further, in these verses, the middle yod for the Hiphil is
present. Therefore, the hey after the KY in these verses is
a sign of the Hiphil, not that of the interrogative prefix. The
KY doesn't introduce an interrogative in these verses, for
it is already under the interrogative that opens the verse.

Every time that I know of where the KY introduces an
interrogative, the hey prefix precedes the KY, e.g. Genesis
27:36 "and he said, Is not his name called Crooked and
he has dealt crookedly with me these two times? ..." or
2 Samuel 9:1 "and David said, Is there anyone still
remaining from Saul's house ..." The only possible
exception that I know of is this verse in Deuteronomy,
where its context indicates that it should be a verb
(Hiphil?) not a noun.

Are there any other examples where an interrogative hey
follows a KY in Tanakh?

Karl W. Randolph.