b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:39:12 +0000

@Solomon:

I thought about this and I don't think time indefinite is a good translation.
We were discussing whether or not it makes sense to an English speaker and
here are my thoughts on basic English.

1. The prefix "in" means no or not.
2. Once you put "in" in front of definite, it literally means "not definite."
3. For example and indefinite pronoun would be anyone or someone.
4. Indefinite article can refer to "a person, a car." It is not specific.
5. Likewise, when placed infront of time, it means no specific time which as
I have stated earlier can refer to 10 minutes or 15 years or eternalty.
6. WLM is always referring to a long time, long duration. The possibility
of it just referring to something "not specific" is not there.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

On 16/11/2005 12:05, Awohili AT aol.com wrote:

>Not so. If you Google "olam indefinite time," as I did, you will have a
>much different result. ...

My objection is to the specific phrase and word order "to time
indefinite". I googled this phrase with the quotation marks, and I
accurately stated the results, so please withdraw "Not so" if that
relates to my Google results. "Indefinite time" in the opposite order is
a different phrase with a potentially different meaning, so of course
the results are different.

Or does your "Not so" relate to my "It seems to me that these
translators did indeed make up the expression, or perhaps they borrowed
it from earlier teaching of their sect"? If so, do you have any
evidence that the particular phrase "to time indefinite" was ever used
by others? I agree that we don't want to play the "sect" card, but I do
insist that if you contradict what I say you provide some evidence.

>... None of the first references was to the NWT or
>Jehovah's Witnesses, but to word studies done by others that equate "olam"
>with an
>indefinite time. One of such references goes back to James Orr, M.A.,
>D.D.,
>general editor of the "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia,"
>published
>in 1915.

Can you give me a more detailed reference for this, if possible a URL?
The only ISBE articles I can find are
http://www.bible.org/isbe.asp?id=3220 and
http://www.bible.org/isbe.asp?id=3221, which are not by Orr, and do not
equate `olam with an indefinite time, although the latter does say that
"In the Old Testament, God's eternity is only negatively expressed, as
implying merely indefinitely extended time (Gen 21:33; Dt 33:27), though
Isa 40:28 takes more absolute form." But "indefinitely extended time" is
not the same as "indefinite time"; the former means a time extended
without limit, whereas the latter simply means an uncertain time.

>Besides, I thought the objective academic issue was not who uses the term,
>but whether the term is an accurate representation of the Hebrew "olam."
>Once
>we go off subjectively into other matters and play the "sect" card, the
>discussion devolves to another plane.

One of the issues was whether this phrase was a regularly used and
meaningful English phrase. Its apparently very restricted use, outside
the specific context for which it is being promoted, strongly suggests
that it is not. And if the phrase is not meaningful, it cannot be an
accurate representation of a presumably meaningful Hebrew word.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)