b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:05:36 +0000

On 16/11/2005 15:31, Awohili AT aol.com wrote:

... It matters not to me if only one group of people in the entire world translate "olam" as "time indefinite." What should matter to an objective person is whether or not "time indefinite" is an accurate translation for "olam." ...

Indeed. And the only way to judge this question, and Rolf agrees with me here, is to ask whether the core meaning of `olam coincides with the core meaning of "time indefinite". In my opinion it does not, because `olam means "eternity" whereas "to time indefinite" does not mean that, if it means anything it means "for an unknown time".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)