b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:31:38 +0000

@Solomon:

Solomon: Well, that's a lot of guessing and speculating, but if you really
want to
> know the rationale behind the NWT's use of "time indefinite" for "olam," I
> suggest you read the publication "Insight on the Scriptures," volume 2,
> under
> the
> topic "Time Indefinite."
>
> The thought that "olam" can refer to an indefinite time is not unique to
> the
> NWT. As I noted earlier, at least one encyclopedia used the expression back
> in 1915, and Gesenius' Hebrew-English Lexicon in 1836 defined "olam" as
> "hidden time, i.e. obscure and long, of which the beginning or end is
> uncertain
> or indefinite." (My emphasis)

Response: I understand your concern, but here is a few problems I see however.

1. Time indefinite is not talking about something LONG with it's beginning or
end being uncertain or indefinite. Time indefinite, just means not definite,
so it does not have to be long at all. It could be 10 seconds which is not
what WLM is communicating. So I don't think this lexicon is providing the
same definition you are.h

2. Hidden time is different than time indefinite. One is speaking of
something not being revealed, the other is something that is simply not
specific, it does not have to be hidden.

3. You said that WLM "Can" refer to an indefinite time, if that is so, then
do you not agree that it is fair for one to argue against WLM being
translated as time indefinite in every single usage?

----------------------------------

Solomon:> The term has nothing to do with Witness theology, since in most
instances
> the term "forever" fits quite well, i.e., the belief that the earth abides
> forever, and that God is everlasting. Yet the NWT consistently uses "for
> time
> indefinite" or "from time indefinite to time indefinite" in verses
> expressing
> those concepts.

Response; But one could argue that all that is communicating is "not
specific" to "not specific." That is not communicating what WLM means. So
one could say from 10 minutes to 20 minutes and be pretty accurate.

Solomon:However, when an augmenting Hebrew word such as "ad" is used,
> as in "olam w'ad," the NWT translates as "time indefinite, even forever."

Response: From not specific to forever?? I don' t think that flies.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net