b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Robert Newman" <rob AT designceramics.co.uk>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:39:50 -0000

Hi Harold, Rolf and Peter,
I'd just like to point out that when I mentioned the word "indefinitely" and
its meaning it was in the context of describing how I as an English reader
understand "time indefinite". I've heard linguists say 'words have no meaning
apart from context, only potential meanings or a semantic range'. Now some
here seem to be insisting that the meaning of "time indefinite" should be
judged on the bulk of glosses for "indefinite" in a dictionary. My experience
is that as a reader of NWT the various conexts make the meaning of "time
indefinite" specific. In my mind I naturaly associate it with the word
"indefinately" which is very close in meaning.
Now if what lexicographers have said about olam signifying "hidden time" is
correct, the NWT communicates in a way very similar to the Hebrew,and the
expression "time/s indefinite" can also carry forward the plural. As a young
teenager reading the Bible (with no special linguistic training) the said
translation worked for me.
You may agree or disagree with this translation approach, it has advantages
and disadvantages but I feel it at least has a place.
Robert Newman