b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:11:46 EST

Though I have had a liking for many translations over the years, I agree
with Robert that "time indefinite" for "olam" works rather well. Certainly
there are times when it can mean "forever," but there are also those times
when
the context indicates that it does not.

I like Everett Fox's translation overall, but he seems to prefer something
connected with "ages" for "olam": "throughout the ages," "ageless,"
"age-old,"
etc., rather than "forever." But for me at least, the "age/s" thing is less
clear than simply "time indefinite."

To each his own, I suppose.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 11/14/2005 2:40:07 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,