b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 07:33:43 EST

Really, what is "eternity" but an indefinite time? Can anyone count the
years in an eternity, to make it a definite time? I really see no problem
with
"time indefinite" or an "indefinitely-lasting" time, which the NWT also uses
occasionally. The Tanach speaks in the language of men, and no man knows
how
long an eternity is. From our standpoint it is "time indefinite."

If "olam" is related to "alam," there is the concept of hiddenness. Again,
hidden from the human standpoint.

What I had a real problem with was the once-popular translation
"age-abiding." (Rotherham and others.) That called for quite a bit of
interpretation.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 11/13/2005 5:50:07 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,