b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:38:35 -0500

Dear Karl,

> >For example, in verse 21, which land? Any reason
>why it couldn’t have been Egypt? When were
>Ephraim’s sons killed, after at least one of
>them had children and his children named for
>several generations? And while the text mentions
>the daughter building three towns, is there any
>reason to suggest that they were other than
>small settlements only for as long as Israel was
>in Egypt, hence were not mentioned in Egyptian
>records?

HH: The problem with this idea is that Lower and
Upper Beth Horon were well known settlements in
Israel, not Egypt.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Harold: so you would say that $)RH the daughter was really a descendent of BRY(H who founded the towns in Canaan, and we just misunderstand the text? Or was she a daughter who founded settlements in Egypt, the names of which were also used for later settlements in Canaan? Can we rule out either question?

HH: The only Upper and Lower Beth Horon we know about are in Israel, and if there were some other ones in Egypt, the Chronicler would have probably clarified that point. Technically, you can't rule out an Egyptian pair of cities, but I think the proposition is misguided. Upper Beth Horon and Lower Beth Horon always refer to cities in Israel. The question as to the reference of the suffix on "his daughter" in 1 Chron 7:24 could be either Ephraim as the dominant person in verses 22-23, or it could be Beriah.

HH: I hope to look into this issue a bit more on Saturday. Right now I am totally baffled.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard