b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:47:54 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
> >Harold: so you would say that $)RH the daughter was really a descendent
of BRY(H who founded the towns in Canaan, and we just misunderstand the
text? Or was she a daughter who founded settlements in Egypt, the names of
which were also used for later settlements in Canaan? ...

> > Peter: Were they actually later? Is there archaeological evidence for
the
> foundation dates of the two Beth Horons?

Actually, both have settlements going back at least to the Middle Bronze
Age. The name Beth Horon is assumed to be Canaanite (that is,
pre-Israelite), although I don't think that it is unambiguously attested in
Bronze Age documents.

Yigal