b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:59:33 +0100

On 03/09/2004 17:38, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

HH: The only Upper and Lower Beth Horon we know about are in Israel, and if there were some other ones in Egypt, the Chronicler would have probably clarified that point. Technically, you can't rule out an Egyptian pair of cities, but I think the proposition is misguided. Upper Beth Horon and Lower Beth Horon always refer to cities in Israel. The question as to the reference of the suffix on "his daughter" in 1 Chron 7:24 could be either Ephraim as the dominant person in verses 22-23, or it could be Beriah.

HH: I hope to look into this issue a bit more on Saturday. Right now I am totally baffled.

A quick passing thought: if Ephraim was the son of an important Egyptian official during the MB period, perhaps he and his family were sent to settle and form a semi-Egyptian colony at Beth Horon in what became the land of Israel. His daughter was in charge of the settlement while his sons got into trouble with the local Canaanites of Gath. After that perhaps the settlement was abandoned. This would explain the limited MB evidence at the site as well as the text of Chronicles.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)