b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:04:59 -0700

On 21/06/2004 14:23, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

Now we are getting back into a discussion of the evolution of the Hebrew
language. I thought that was off list.

No, this is evidence for understanding of Hebrew from cognate languages. That is a well established method of understanding Hebrew which cannot be ruled out of order on this list.

I disagree.

I thought you would. But if you do, you have to account for how there are two different Arabic roots corresponding to this one Hebrew one - and similarly with very many other Hebrew roots.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)