b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Genesis 1:6-7, 8:1, Waters Above and Below

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Genesis 1:6-7, 8:1, Waters Above and Below
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:14:10 -0700

On 21/06/2004 05:11, Trevor Peterson wrote:

===== Original Message From Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org> =====
Akkadian: shamu, mu
Ugaritic: shamuma, my

The Akkadian and Ugaritic forms are also plural.

On the Akkadian, this disagrees with BDB, which I quote:

s.v. MAYIM: As. mû, pl. mê, also mâmu

s.v. SHAMAYIM: As. šamû, pl. šamê, šamûtu, also šamâmu

Now I don't take BDB as the top authority on Akkadian (and it doesn't mention Ugaritic because it is too old - but it is what I have to hand), but it seems to suggest that mû and šamû are regular singular nouns which also have plural forms. Have I misunderstood BDB? Or is it wrong?

If I am right, the use of the plural form with singular meaning seems restricted to NW Semitic as I originally said, which puts a very different complexion on this issue than if it was found also in E Semitic.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)