b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:06:00 -0700

On 22/06/2004 23:04, Yigal Levin wrote:

I once heard Prof. Yehuda Feliks lecture on how many "mistakes" the author
of the Song made in his understanding of nature. The way he put it,
"Solomon" was a great poet, but he was a city boy who really had no idea
what how vinyard worked.

Yigal

In the light of Harold's reply, I wonder whether the true city boy was "Solomon" or Prof Feliks.

Bear in mind that Jerusalem at the time the Song was written (almost whenever that might have been) was only a small town by modern standards and probably surrounded by vineyards. Any travel would have been at walking pace, leaving plenty of time to observe the surrounding vineyards and talk to those who worked in them. The author, unless brought up in a very sheltered palace environment, would not have been nearly as unfamiliar with vineyards as city boys today.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)