b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:45:48 -0500

Dear Karl,

I just looked at your site and looked at all text examples where you have the meaning of corruption of destruction, and with the possible exception of one use in connections with a hapax legomai of uncertain meaning, none of the uses necessarily have a meaning connected with corruption. Some of the examples IMO actually work better with the “tied to” or “restricted” meanings than destruction or corruption meanings.

I do include the being in labor, as part of muscle contractions.

I too have looked at all uses in making the definition below, though the below definition covers only the root meanings.

HH: I have to tell you that it bothers me that you ignore what every lexicon I'm familiar with, if I remember correctly, as a meaning for this Hebrew root XBL. If you plan to produce a dictionary, this sort of behavior seems irresponsible.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard