b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:14:03 -0500

Dear Harold:

I have enjoyed the articles on foxes, as I enjoy learning about the wonders
of nature, but very few of them actually mentioned the damage foxes make to
vineyards, and those that did only mentioned damage to the fruit, not to the
vines nor the vineyards themselves.

Even though I now live in San Francisco, I saw a fox in Golden Gate Park,
standing under a street light on the road. It was going after some roadkill
and allowed me to ride on my bicycle within a few feet of it and only ran
when I stopped to take a closer look. Cute little thing. This was the only
time I’ve seen a fox “in the wild”. Other wildlife I’ve seen in town include
skunk, ’coon and ’possum.

Yet, even if you prove that foxes damage vineyards, that does not prove that
XBL in Song of Songs 2:15 means “damage” and not “connected with” as I
translate it.

When doing lexicography, if fewer than 10% of occurances of a lexeme are
given a different definition, I tend to question the appropriateness of the
different definition. For XBL it is only two or three examples that raise
questions, all others fit grammatically, according to context and meaning.
Even the two or three questionable occurances still can be resolved according
to the majority meaning, therefore I question the minority meaning, namely
that one connected with destruction or corruption.

Karl W. Randolph.