b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Reinier de Blois" <r.de.blois AT solcon.nl>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:31:46 +0200

Hi Chris,

Hier in Nederland is het spannend, wat het voetbal betreft, tenminste.

I understand your reasoning, but it is a risky business. The linking of
conception to braiding can only be supported if you bring in the noun
xebel "cord". But then, the verb x-b-l also has the meaning of "having
labor-pains", "being in labor" (Sng 8:5; Isa 26:7). So your example from
Psalm 7 may well be linked to that meaning. The translation "conceive"
in Psalm 7:15 is not all that sure. You might as well translate "to be
in labor with evil".

It is better to have a look at the entire semantic picture of x-b-l
first before jumping into conclusions. You may want to go to our
website:

www.sdbh.org/vocabula

and look up x-b-l there.

Groeten,