b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Genesis 1:6-7, 8:1, Waters Above and Below

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Dora Smith <villandra AT austin.rr.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Genesis 1:6-7, 8:1, Waters Above and Below
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:26:35 -0700

On 21/06/2004 10:52, Dora Smith wrote:

Oh. OK. What I actually wanted to know was what the other languages do for
plural endings.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that the yim endings in Hebrew
have nothing to do with the words being in the plural form. Yet my
introductory Hebrew texts say precisely that they are only in the plural
form.

The words are plural in *form*, which implies that for all grammatical
purposes they are plural (but see below). I never said that they weren't plural in *form* in Hebrew. The point is rather that they are not plural in *meaning*, and that there are no singular forms corresponding to these plurals - at least not in Hebrew.

Actually strictly they are not plural but dual in form. Plural forms end in stressed -im or -ot. These words end in unstressed -im which forms part of the -ayim dual ending. The construct forms of both also correspond to a dual form: mey and sh:mey, not mayey or sh:mayey.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)