b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:45:21 -0500

Dear Vadim,

> HH: The fact that the Christian approach requires more assumptions
> does not necessarily make it weaker.

Well, you studied logic, did you? More assumptions - weaker the argument. Or
is the logic inapplicable here? Tertullian's argument about the absurdity
still relied on logic.

HH: Reality trumps logic. If something is real and you ignore it, you may miss something you need.

>The most simple idea is not
> always correct. It may overlook some important fact.

Taking the NT as a fact is itself an assumption.

HH: I said what is most simple "may" overlook some important fact. This is common sense. I don't need to study logic to know it.

>The claim of
Christianity is that God was giving new revelation through Jesus
Christ. The claim is that he was a prophet and in fact the Messiah
> prophesied in the OT.

Only a prophet? Wow, you are very liberal. Every Muslim would agree with you
:)

HH: I guess you missed the part about Jesus being the Messiah, too.

>So the addition you speak of, "axiom B," could
actually be more truth and so could help one to understand the other
> truth ("axiom A") better.

Yes, if we assume that axiom B is a truth. But, again, this is an
assumption, and makes the argument logically inferior.

HH: But we should exact the assumption to see if it is true. if it is, then we should not ignore it.

Substituting logic
with belief remains the only option.

HH: If Jesus rose from the dead, then His claims carry a lot of weight. There are a good many reasons to believe that He rose again from the dead.

Uh, and one more thing, please: exactly what line of the NT let us
understand the Tanakh better? Just any example, please.

Here's one relevant to your efforts on B-Hebrew:

Acts 8:30 ¶ Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked.
Acts 8:31 ¶ "How can I," he said, "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.
Acts 8:32 ¶ The eunuch was reading this passage of Scripture: "He was led like a sheep to the slaughter, and as a lamb before the shearer is silent, so he did not open his mouth.
Acts 8:33 In his humiliation he was deprived of justice. Who can speak of his descendants? For his life was taken from the earth."
Acts 8:34 ¶ The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?"
Acts 8:35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard