b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1:2
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 07:34:26 -0500

Dear Yigal,

Oh boy....

HH: Right.

How conceited! That God would reviel to Moses what only WE (or YOU) can
understand!

HH: Right.

> 2) God is light, and in Him is no darkness

Who said?

HH: This comes from the New Testament:

1John 1:5 ΒΆ This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

Where did
> God have to go in order to find darkness?
3) Suppose the "seven days" are not in chronological order?
Jesus gave a different order in the gospels.

Jesus (or the Evangelists) were well aquainted with the midrashic concept of
"there is no early and late in the Torah". This gives the interpreter
license to do almost anything. We just must remember that midrash is just
that - midrash and not a literal interpretation.

HH: I cannot think of a place where Jesus changed the order of the seven days. This looks like a misunderstanding.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard