b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 19:2-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 19:2-3
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:24:41 -0500

Look at the context. In verse two we have the heavens recounting and the
expanse setting forth (as in reporting), then in verse three the day makes
speech flow forth and the night declares knowledge.

Now how is the best way to translate this, particularly verse three? It looks
as if I stuck my foot in my mouth in not recognizing the possibility that YWM
LYWM is a figure of speech, but grammatically then this figure of speech is
the subject of the verb. In this verse it does not look as if it is used
adverbially. Probably then “Each day” is the closest equivelant into English.

Esther 3:7 again is not adverbial, for Haman cast lots for each day and each
month to find the most auspicious day for his bloody deed.

Agreed, “each day” is usually used adverbially, but not always.

YWMM is the word for “daily”

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.