b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 19:2-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 19:2-3
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:05:54 -0700

On 23/09/2003 11:24, Karl Randolph wrote:

Look at the context. In verse two we have the heavens recounting and the
expanse setting forth (as in reporting), then in verse three the day makes
speech flow forth and the night declares knowledge.

You may be right, but see below.

Agreed, “each day” is usually used adverbially, but not always.

YWMM is the word for “daily”

And "daily" is the English for YWMM. So let's turn your logic round. Look and an English version: "The firmament proclaims the work of his hands and day by day pours forth speech". By you argument, since "daily" is the English for YWMM, in my English sentence the first "day" must be the subject of "pours". But is that correct?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)