b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:47:44 -0600

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 11:50, Dr Dale M Wheeler wrote:
> Does anyone have a response to van der Merwe, et.al.'s contention that
> Hebrew is not a VSO language, but rather should be viewed as a SVO
> language?

I haven't seen van der Merwe's comments, but I agree that Hebrew is at its
base SVO. Virtually all of the comments I've seen in the grammars claiming
that it is VSO are based on the wayyiqtol and weqatal, which (ISTM) are
clearly derived constructions. If we look at the non-derived constructions
(qatal, yiqtol) the most common order there is SVO, and it is easy to see the
VSO order of the waw-consecutive forms being derived by movement.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur