b-hebrew - RE: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky <hermeneutics AT kulikovskyonline.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: The OT?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 18:06:00 +0200

On 10:20 AM 25/08/2002 -0500, Bill Ross wrote:
It is very obvious that there is no concensus on what constitutes the
"OT" among christians.

Come on Bill, do you really think so?

All Christians (at least those who understand what it means to be a Christian) understand "OT" to refer to those canonical books which describe God's dealings throughout History with His chosen nation Israel - especially in relation to the Mosaic covenant and the associated sacrifical system and ceremonies. The Pentateuch describes the establishment of the nation and the covenant and the rest of the OT recounts God''s enforcement of the covenant through His prophets, and His discipline on the nation and its leaders when they broke the covenant. I think this pretty much sums it up. I don't think any Christian would disagree with this.

cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky
Check out my Biblical Hermeneutics web site:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?