b-hebrew - Alcoholic Beverages in BH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Martin A. Shields" <mshields AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Alcoholic Beverages in BH
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:55:26 +1000

I have just read a recent article proposing that Qohelet 10:1 refers to the
process used to make beer in the aNE. To my knowledge, however, there is no
word for "beer" in BH in spite of the apparent antiquity of beer production.

This has, however, prompted the question: is anyone aware of other
references to alcoholic beverages (excluding, of course, yyn for "wine") in
BH?

Thanks,

Martin Shields.

P.S. Please note I have strenuously avoided making reference by name to the
corpus of texts written in BH to avoid offence. I assume that, since this
list is called "B-Hebrew" the abbreviation "BH" is acceptable ;-).