b-hebrew - RE: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The OT?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 20:53:18 -0400

Shalom b-hebrew,

Bill Ross
> But, it gets worse, because even Tanach only refers to the books up to 2 Chronicles, no?

Schmuel
Tanach (Torah, Law, Prophets) is the same books as the "Protestant canon", although in different
order in the printed Scriptures ... the Protestant canon matches up with that of the Dead Sea Scrolls and Josephus, confirmed as the historical Inspired canon...

Liz
The first thing I do with my students is to teach them the difference between the OT and the HB.
I tell them the OT is the LXX! (Not one of them has ever argued with me about it!) :)

Schmuel

As with some others here, my preference is Tanach..
(and Hebrew Scripture, Hebrew Bible, is good too, though it leaves out the Aramaic)
OT is really better avoided, if I use it for brevity I use it in quotes :-)

However.... I would definitely "argue" with that identification of OT and LXX...

Please be aware that many/most protestants/baptists etc do NOT use the socalled LXX (which is really largely simply 350AD+ codex sinaticus/vaticanus christian alexandrian ultra-dubious manuscripts)

e.g. the KJB accepts the Masoretic Text, (and its canon), as the base underlying text...
and the socalled LXX has mimimal significance...

The apocrypha in the socalled "LXX" manuscripts is not considered as Scripture (exceptions are
mainly rcc and Greek Orthodox Church, not protestants/baptists)

And the readings of those manuscripts are simply generally not used in Tanach, the
Masoretic Text is the primary reference, with other texts only consulted on nuancical and
difficult readings in the MT....

This of course changed to some degree with the "modern versions", in which the textual
critics brought the alexandrian manuscripts into prominence.... even so that has affected
the Messianic Testament much more than Tanach .... and most "Prot" bibles still
bypass the sinaticus/vaticanus apoc...

Shalom

Steven Avery
Bayside, NY

schmuel AT escape.com

Messianic_Apologetic-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com