b-hebrew - RE: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The OT?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:48:18 +0100

Well, I would argue with this, Liz! According to my Christian faith
tradition at least, the LXX is a translation which is no more inspired,
infallible or authoritative than any other translation, and the
authoritative scriptures consist of the Hebrew Bible (which I would
often call the Old Testament while agreeing that that is not a very good
name for it) and the New Testament.

As for Thomas Roper's original concerns about the name, I wonder if he
realised that the abbreviation "OT" was used on the list only by two
Jewish scholars, Yigal and yourself. Well, I only assume that Yigal is
Jewish but both his name and what he writes seem to suggest that
strongly.

Peter Kirk