b-hebrew - Re: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The OT?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:20:29 -0600

> Hello:
>
> Just a note in passing. To call the Tanach or the Hebrew Bible, the
> OT
> is insulting to those of us who are Jewish, and I do not mean messianics as
> Jews. Have a great Sabbath.

Oh puh-leeze. First, a "professional victim" attitude does nothing to
advance scholarship or knowledge. Second, what gives you the
right to deny the messianics their self-designation as Jews? Third, I
find it continually fascinating that everybody calls on Christians to be
"tolerant," while simultaneously refusing to tolerate us when we have
the audacity to express who and what we are. Fourth and most
important to me: do we *really* have to start quibbling over the
terminology of political correctness again? Let's study Hebrew.
Unless, of course, the term "Hebrew" is offensive to someone.....

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Don't let your mind wander.
It's too little to be left alone."