b-hebrew - RE: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The OT?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:41:48 -0500

Now, could we please get on to something productive? For
example, I'm looking at the phrase 'erek 'apayim in Psalm 86:15,
and I can't help but wonder how "long of nose" came to mean "slow
to anger." Thoughts?

How about - erech is from the word aroch (long), it takes a long time to get angry in an entity that is "slow to anger"

(re apayim, it is related to the word "af", nose, the nostrils of which tend to flare up when you get angry - of course G-d doesn't have nostrils, this is just to put it in human terms for us)