b-hebrew - Pronunciation and Genesis 2:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "frater three" <fraterthree AT lycos.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Pronunciation and Genesis 2:7
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:53:29 -0700

Dear members,
I have some questions on the pronunciation of some words of Genesis 2:7:
1)Why does the word B)PYW is pronounced as "beapav" without the Yod sound?
For me, it should be "beapayv".
2)The right pronunciation of WYHY is "vayehy" or "vayhy"? I know a shewa is
pronounced after a closed syllable and it's not pronounced after an open
syllable, so this pronunciation should be "vayhy".
Thanks in advance for your answers or any corrections,
Fernando

Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access,
No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus