b-hebrew - Re: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The OT?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 20:45:50 -0500

I'm probably the most easily insulted of anyone on this list, and I am not insulted by someone calling the Tanach, OT

(I don't like HB, though......)

And, by the way, I didn't know you were here, too, Thomas!!!!!!!

Shoshanna

Just a note in passing. To call the Tanach or the Hebrew Bible, the OT
is insulting to those of us who are Jewish, and I do not mean messianics as
Jews. Have a great Sabbath.

And to deny that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah could just as easily be
insulting to those of us who are Christians...

Offence is only given if offence is taken. I don't think anyone here
intends to insult Jewish people by referring to the Hebrew Bible as the OT.

Thoughtlessness is obviously not a sign of intent,
but insults may be felt anyway.

Can you both come to a compromise situation?

I personally often use "OT/HB", if that might be
indicative to anyone.