b-hebrew - Re: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jwest AT highland.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The OT?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 14:24:48 +0000 (GMT)

> At 04:52 PM 23/08/2002 -0400, JwReform AT aol.com wrote:
> >Hello:
> >
> > Just a note in passing. To call the Tanach or the Hebrew Bible, the
> > OT
> >is insulting to those of us who are Jewish, and I do not mean messianics as
> >Jews. Have a great Sabbath.
>
> And to deny that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah could just as easily be
> insulting to those of us who are Christians...

The politcal correctness debate apparently continues. what adherents of a
particular religious group or secular group call something important to them

is, it seems to me, well within their rights. I wont tell you what to call
the
Hebrew Bible if you dont tell me how to describe the messiah.

whether one calls the texts collected into their present form *old testament*
or *hebrew Bible* or *old stuff no one reads any more* is PURELY a matter of
perspective- and to attempt to dictate perspective is the antithesis of
academic purpose.

best

jim

Jim West, ThD