b-hebrew - Re: The OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: soren AT enteract.com
  • To: Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky <hermeneutics AT kulikovskyonline.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The OT?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:05:02 -0500

There really is no "neutral" way to refer to the texts in question. "Old
Testament" is in fact a Christian usage and is justified only by the
circumstance that we are writing in a historically Christian
language. "TaNaKh" refers to a particular rabbinical arrangement of the
Biblical texts and would not be acceptable to those who do not make that
distinction. For example, Bibles printed under Christian auspices generally
Put Ruth (Ketuvim) right after Judges (Neviim) and before Shmuel (Neviim).
Moreover, terms such as "TaNaKh" or "The Hebrew Bible" would presumably
offend
any Samaritans (good or otherwise) on this list since for them ONLY the Torah
(and I think their own version of Joshua) is "Biblical"

Steve Oren