b-hebrew - RE: My understanding of Gen 1:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: My understanding of Gen 1:1-3
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 20:15:29 +0100

Dave, even if Andrew's response were as naive as you make out (and I
don't believe that it is though obviously some clarification is needed
on Judges 12), I find it objectionable that you are putting him down in
this way. Since Andrew obviously was not aware that you had spent years
studying the grammars including including Driver, GKC, Kelly, Joüon {not
Jouon by the way, he needs a diaeresis on the u), Waltke and O'Connor
etc, why couldn't you just tell him this rather than treat his ignorance
as a personal insult? And your statement "You are clearly one of those
people who needs to "get over it."" is clear ad hominem argumentation,
which would be stamped on by the moderators of the other lists I am on,
and is probably getting through on this one only because the moderators
are too busy.

It is also objectionable that you are rejecting as irrelevant what Page
Kelly might have written on this subject without being prepared to read
it.

I agree that "Every explanation I've seen of this phenomenon [WAYYIQTOL]
is badly contrived and frankly lame." - and that includes yours!

I would disagree that anything on "Transformational Grammar" is a good
introductory text on linguistics. This is one approach among many. You
should not try to mislead Andrew or anyone else that it is the only
valid one.

Peter Kirk

I'm
> > >afraid Ian has you on the matter of the WAYYIQTOL. Your
> > >explanation of books that begin with this form is weak at best,
> > >contrived at worst and tends to ignore the whole question of
sources
> > >(which I'm not going to get into). The fact is that Niccacci,
Hatav