b-hebrew - Re: My understanding of Gen 1:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Charles Hutchesson <MC2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: My understanding of Gen 1:1-3
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:36:05 +0200 (CEST)

Yigal

> > My assumption is that wherever the story came from, it
> > would not have used concepts that the Ancient Israelite/Judahite would not
> > have known about. "Energy" (in the modern physics sense of the word),
> > "time-matter" and so on are just such terms.
>
> True, these certainly seem modern terms, but then the
> beauty of Genesis is that it can be beheld at various
> levels.

This sounds more like the "beauty" of the human mind which tends to stretch
things to fit its understanding, rather than doing the job we are supposed to
be doing, ie trying to understand the text as intended by its writer.

> It is as relevant perhaps to those with a
> knowledge of modern scientific critique as it was to
> the 'ancients'. Interesting though isn't it, that such
> an ancient story can be recognised by some scientists
> (obviously depending on your agenda) even today.

(all of which is irrelevant to our present job)

> It's remarkable for that which it doesn't say and
> leaves out, and for the little that it does.
> At least it doesn't mention turtles!

It probably makes it later than those biblical texts which deal literally
with the serpent or dragon of the sea.

Ian