b-hebrew - RE: My understanding of Gen 1:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: My understanding of Gen 1:1-3
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 19:45:44 +0100

Dave, I am simply repeating what I have heard about this from a
colleague, who has a Ph.D. in linguistics. I am not trying to claim that
WAYYIQTOL is always consecutive, simply that it often is, and that there
is no reason to interpret it otherwise either in Gen 1:3 or in the
opening verses of historical books which continue the historical
narrative.

I think this is the Niccacci article I mentioned:

Niccacci, Alviero. 1995. Organizzazione Canonica Della Bibbia Ebraica
tra Sintassi e Retorica. In Rivista Biblica XLIII: 9-29.

Peter

WAYYIQTOL