b-hebrew - Re: My understanding of Gen 1:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>, b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: My understanding of Gen 1:1-3
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:46:12 +0100 (BST)

Yigal.

> My assumption is that wherever the
> story came from, it
> would not have used concepts that the Ancient
> Israelite/Judahite would not
> have known about. "Energy" (in the modern physics
> sense of the word),
> "time-matter" and so on are just such terms.

True, these certainly seem modern terms, but then the
beauty of Genesis is that it can be beheld at various
levels. It is as relevant perhaps to those with a
knowledge of modern scientific critique as it was to
the 'ancients'. Interesting though isn't it, that such
an ancient story can be recognised by some scientists
(obviously depending on your agenda) even today.
It's remarkable for that which it doesn't say and
leaves out, and for the little that it does.
At least it doesn't mention turtles!

> Was God revealing a scenario, that only we moderns
> can really appreciate?
Nope, but isn't it interesting that we can!

Many thanks.
Ian.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b